Friday, April 28, 2006

peaches and cream

So, I thought I'd dispell this myth that I'm having the 'time of my life' as most of y'all have responded to the pics and such. Travelling isn't always easy and of course, blogs and diaries and such usually get the rose tinted shine shine to them. It's merely filtered, is all, but that has come to an end. I'm dedicating this post to all the shitty things that have happened to me since I was last on North American soil.

-first, customs in Canada almost didn't let me even board the plane since I didn't have my e-ticket for my exiting flight from New Zealand with me. Panic! I was shuttling around the frickin' airport looking for a internet terminal with a printer. Not easy. But I obviously made it with only about 15 minutes to spare.

- I was up for nearly 36 hours with the time difference and travel when first getting to NZ - but after that it was smooth

- I lost my bloody passport!! in Queenstown. It happened when we were looking for a place to pitch a tent around midnight and it spent the night getting run over on the highway. I had a major 5am freak out when I realized it was gone and then spend over an hour searching for it. Long story but Ken found it.

- Hitching from Milford Sound in the rain battling the sand flies! Yum! and then hitching (same day) from Te Anau and waiting for about 2 hours! We entertained ourselves though...

- Had major sore throat first two weeks in Australia. Couldn't kick it.

- No work scare. Realized work in film or tv was going to be hard to come by on the coast so had to look for work I haven't done in over 6 years. And my visa only allows me to work at one place for three months and most businesses know about this which makes it really hard to find anything.

- Working as a waitress/bartender at this shitty hipster club called Berlin. It was the worst job I've ever had. Every loser in there thought they were God's Gift. Thank God only worked there for 4 weekends.

- Minor depression about money/work/transition situation that lasted about a month and almost resulted in my returning home early. I'm over it.

- Food poisoning. The cause? A lovely warm egg salad sandwich. Sick for 2 days.

- Migraine/sinus cold last weekend

- In general, I don't love the Gold Coast, its great but I've lived in better places - while its cool and different and has a beautiful beach - its also filled with tourists, is nearly devoid of any culture other than beach/surf culture, the majority of the extra curricular shite just revolves around getting loaded and picking up tourists, etc. I think I'd much prefer a bigger city like Brissy or Melbourne and I'm thinking of moving in a few months.

So, look, I'm not complaining. I know it sounds like it but over about 15 posts, this is the most negative you're gonna get. And don't you wanna hear about the lousy stuff too? It's not all peaches and cream. Until next time...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home